29.5.10

Life without the internet

It is kind of great, actually. The reader may ask, if your life is so internet free how are you writing this? The thing is my computer broke. In Mexico. My expectations are low. Let's just say I will be thrilled if it is fixed within the next year.

Therefore, when I want to use the internet, it is guided and constructive. For example, I am currently sitting in an internet cafe outside of Zona Rosa for the purpose of sending my new cell number to a Mexican friend and now, to write this. I do not lay around my apartment, computer in lap, mindlessly surfing the internet. Without my computer (and TV) I read, I walk, I explore, I write, I take pictures with my new Canon FTB and most importantly, I watch people dance in parks.



One of the highlights of my Texcoco life was watching the older couples slowly dance in the centro on Sundays. A German friend-for-a-day commented that having traveled Mexico for two months, he was convinced Mexicans live their lives more fully than in Germany and in fact, if people, en masse, started dancing unannounced in a public German square, they would probably be arrested. Watching a couple in their 70's, eyes closed and holding each other like it was their first embrace, I concurred.

Mexico City is full of people dancing in parks. Just today I came upon 3 dozen youngsters dancing to Kinky´s "Twisted Sister". With my first cup of coffee finally downed at the impressively late hour of 11:00 a.m., I stumbled upon the dancing in the art deco, open-air auditorium of Parque Mexico. The usual suspects in the park - that is, dog walkers, families and expats of all shades with Superama bags in hand - took delight in the display as they paused by my side.

By far the most impressive dancing occurs in the park of Balderas. Here you will find Mexicans from all walks of life dancing together. Most notable, however, are the middle-aged couples learning danzón from a man who I would have assumed to be a blue-collar worker. These teachers are almost always macho men in their 50's wearing jeans and a nondescript t-shirts or button downs that expose hairy chests. The teacher stands aside his small speaker, competing for airwaves over traffic and other nearby speakers, and occasionally corrects the couples in an unannounced fashion by taking the female partner and showing the man the correct steps.

Sundays, again, are the day of action but these classes take place nearly every night of the week, from what I can tell. Occasionally you can also find groups practicing large, coordinated dances composed of people ranging from age 12 to 60. For what, I can only assume.

No comments: