24.10.10

Technology

I vacillate wildly as to the benefits and or woes of technology. "What did people do before the Internet," a friend asked her elder roommate. Without much thought he named human activities: read, draw, write, paint, listen to/make music, socialize in person...

So why the obsession with the internet? I mean, what has the internet ever done for me or you other than make us less interesting, less sociable, less attentive and less self sufficient? I am sure that a reader may make quite convincing arguments that I am indeed wrong; that technology does just the opposite: makes us smarter, better, faster, more efficient and able to tap into an endless fountain of information, from debates about Norwegian funds for REDD to sustainable rural cities in Mexico. True. But do you use the Internet for that? Even if you do, can you really argue that the majority of people, especially younger generations, are really using the Internet to read Focault rather than faffing about on Facebook?



If I am so against technology then why opt to write on my neglected blog rather than inside my antiquated, tangible journal? Because the internet is useful but rarely utilized.

No comments: